Zucchini/Courgette. I’m getting so muddled up about what names I am meant to use since moving to the UK. Peppers seems to be sticking but I can’t seem to bring myself to say Courgette or Mange Tout (what’s that all about?). And don’t get me started on onions; I still can’t work out what’s what between salad onions, shallots, eschallots, spring onions, green onions etc. Thankfully bacon and eggs is simply bacon and eggs.
What ever you call them we’ve had an over supply of vegetables in the house this week. After working at the BBC Good Food Show the fridge has been bursting (this comes from being on a stand next to the organic veg people who didn’t want to take all their veg home again). I’ve roasted pumpkin for salads, made parsnip soup, eaten more cavolo nero than I can count, made mushroom sauces, added carrot to my orange juice, and it’s still coming.
Today I decided to tackle the large bag of zucchini and I remembered this simple recipe. It’s a bit like quiche without a crust and very tasty. Enjoyed by adults and kids alike, it’s very easy to make and quite budget friendly. The recipe I used PT (pre-thermomix) was from taste.com.au so now I’ve adapted it for the Whizzy Machine. You could of course make this without one but it certainly makes it a whole lot faster!
- 100gm Cheddar cheese, cut in chunks for grating (you can also use mozzarella but cheddar has a better flavour)
- 100 gm – 200 gm of Rindless Bacon (up to you how much you want to use), cut into a few pieces.
- 1 Onion, peeled and quartered
- 375 gm Zucchini/Courgette, quartered
- 5 Eggs
- 150 gm Self-Raising Flour (I use gluten free)
- 50 grams Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 170C degrees.
- Add Cheese to bowl, grate using Turbo, 2 seconds. Remove from bowl and set aside.
- Add Bacon to bowl, finely chop Turbo 1-2 seconds. Remove from bowl and set aside with cheese.
- Add Onion and Zucchini to bowl, whizz 2 seconds Speed 5. Scrape down and repeat.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix 15 seconds, REVERSE, Speed 3.
- Pour into greased or lined baking dish, approx 20cm * 30 cm.
- Bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Delicious served hot or cold.